Gastric Disorders In Children
Gastric Disorders In Children
Gastric disorders like pain in abdomen, constipation or loose motion are very common in children. Most of the time change in diet or weather is the cause for such complaints. Though they are not serious issues, but their recurrence and persistence can affects child development and overall performance.
A) Abdominal Colic :
Abdominal pain or stomachache is the most common complaint in children. There are many causes for abdominal pain some are minor while some are serious.
- Infection such as bacterial or viral
- Food poisoning from eating unhygienic or contaminated food
- Food allergies
- Certain medications
- Other medical conditions like diabetes
- Mental disturbances like fear, anger etc.
In infants severe crying in distress or being curl up is the first indication.
Mild intermittent pain mostly around belly button.
Nausea and vomiting
Reduced or no appetite
fever in some cases
dullness or restlessness
Homeopathy acts best in stomachache. In acute pains also homeopathic medicine works in few minutes. Children easily consume sweet homeopathic pills. Their activity and performance also gets better with medicine. Homeopathic medicine also decreases chances of recurrence of pain. They help to improve appetite as well.
- CARBO VEGETABILIS : This remedy is often indicated when a child has a distended abdomen with colicky pain and belching. The face may look very pale, and the hands and feet are cold. Faintness, weakness, and a strong desire for moving air are other indications for Carbo vegetabilis.
- CHAMOMILLA : It is especially helpful to colicky babies who desperately scream or shriek and want to be constantly rocked and carried. The abdomen may be distended with gas, and pain can be focused in the navel region. Hot perspiration and facial flushing (sometimes only one cheek) are other indications for Chamomilla.
- COLOCYNTHIS : Cramping, cutting pain that makes the child double over is a strong indication for this remedy. Pressing hard against the abdomen usually brings relief. Babies who need this remedy look extremely anxious and often feel relief when carried tummy-down on someone’s arm.
- DIOSCOREA : Abdominal pain that feels better from bending backward often is relieved by this remedy. Babies may arch their backs and try to stay in that position. Pain comes in paroxysms, often with gas and burping, or with nausea.
- PULSATILLA – Pain in abdomen after fatty rich food like pastries , cakes sweets etc. child is usually thirstless
B) Diarrhoea :
Infants and children commonly suffers from diarrhea. It can be painful or painless. Diarrhea is the body’s way of ridding itself from germs and episodes lasts from few hours to days. Diarrhea is not fatal condition but dehydration caused by diarrhea can be problematic.
- Infection from viruses, bacteria or parasite.
- Medications like antibiotics
- After certain vaccination
- Food poisoning
- Other diseases like IBS, crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis
- Vitamin deficiency
Dehydration is most worrisome complication of diarrhea in children. It usually happens in cases of moderate or severe diarrhea. It can cause brain seizure, brain damage or even death. Signs of dehydration are :
- Dizziness and light-headedness
- Dry, sticky mouth
- Dry yellow urine or very little or no urine
- Cool,dry skin
- Lack of energy
- If your child has any of these symptoms get help quickly.
- Give lots of fluids to child ; along with water give juices. Avoid carbonated drinks.
- Avoid outside, spicy and fermented food. Avoid milk.
- Give simple home-made food like daliya, khichadi etc.
Homeopathic medicines can help in cases of mild to moderate diarrhea. While homeopathic consultation doctor may ask you about stool colour, odor, frequency, consistency and other associated complaints. Medicine is prescribed on such details.
After medicine stool frequency reduces and child can resume his activity.
- GELSEMIUM : trembling and weakness accompany diarrhea, especially when nervousness, fear, or emotional upset is the cause. Gelsemium is also useful during flu with diarrhea, droopy lethargy, fever, chills, and headache.
- IPECACUANHA : If a child has diarrhea accompanied by extreme or constant nausea, this remedy may bring relief. Cutting, clutching pains are worse around the navel, and the diarrhea looks frothy or green.
- CHAMOMILLA : Hot, green, watery diarrhea with abdominal pain and gas suggests a need for this remedy. The person’s face will be red and flushed (sometimes only on one side) and problems may be worse from warmth. Children who need this remedy will often seem extremely angry, and scream or hit.
- PODOPHYLLUM PELTATUM : This relieves watery diarrhea with cramping pain. The diarrhea occurs most often in the morning, and is often caused by excessive eating of fresh fruits.
- SULPHUR : Urgent, hot diarrhea that occurs in the early morning, making the person rush to the bathroom, suggests a need for this remedy. Burning is often felt in the digestive tract, and the anus can be itchy, red, and irritated. The person may also have hemorrhoids that burn and itch.
C) Constipation :
Children may suffer from infrequent bowel movements or dry, hard stools or even pain while passing stools. Early toilet training and changes in diet are most common reasons.
- Withholding ; If pain is more child usually avoids to pass stools and it will increase the problem.
- Changes in diet.
- Changes in routine like traveling or change in weather
- Certain medications.
- Allergy to some food items.
- Irregular bowel like once in 2/3 days
- Stools hard, dry and difficult to pass
- Pain while passing stools
Homeopathy have good results in cases if constipation. While consulting doctor may inquire about bowel habits, consistency, appearance, frequency and prescribe accordingly. Homeopathic medicines are safe to consume, without side effects and child don’t get dependent on medicines. Homeopathy boosts the digestive tract and excretory function and allows child to grow better
- BRYONIA : constipation with dryness in the rectum and large dry stools that are hard to push out, with sticking or tearing pains. Stools are brown dry as if burnt.worse in morning and in hot weather.
- CALCAREA CARBONICA : child feel more stable when constipated, and experience discomfort and fatigue when the bowels have moved. Large stools are hard at first, then sticky, then liquid.
- LYCOPODIUM : child has frequent indigestion with gas and bloating, and many problems involving the bowels. craving for sweets and an energy slump in late afternoon and early evening.
For appointment please call @ 020 27455480 / +91 9405 435 981